Hello Future Wildflowers,
Greetings from Malcolm Shabazz City High School. Below is our information meeting dates, current application process and referral system.
Chantel Angeletti, Principal
Application opens on Monday, November 20, 2023
Information Meeting Available
- Nov. 28th, 2023, with school tour at 5:00-5:45pm
- Dec. 6th, 2023, with school tour at 1:00-1:45pm
- Dec 14th, 2023, with school tour at 4:00-4:45pm
Please note these are the available tours prior to Spring Semester
About Applying: All students currently in grades 9-12 who reside in the City of Madison (specifically, within the MMSD attendance area) can apply for admission to Malcolm Shabazz City High School. Students who live outside of the MMSD’s attendance boundaries must first pursue Open Enrollment or pay the required MMSD tuition fees prior to submitting an application for admission. Proof of application for open enrollment in MMSD must be provided before an application can be accepted.
Applications for admission are accepted prior to the start of each semester through the online application process.
Shabazz has a multi-step admissions process. Applicants must first meet the eligibility criteria for admittance before proceeding to the lottery. The goal of the multi-step admissions process is to maximize enrollment opportunities and promote equity in student admissions.
Families who are selected via lottery and accept a spot at Shabazz must then be part of a Welcome session with our Principal and Intake Team.
Step 1: Application
Step 2: Eligibility Criteria
All applicants must satisfy the criteria below before entering the lottery.
- Applicants must reside in Madison or provide proof of application for the Open Enrollment process as well as submit the Shabazz Prospective Student Application prior to the application deadline. Please see Admissions Timeline (below) for this year’s application deadlines.
- Applicants must meet the school’s credit attainment and behavior requirements.
- Applicants must be on track to graduate from the MMSD on time or with no more than one additional year of course work.
- Applicants may not have a pattern or significant history of disruptive behavior, inappropriate sexual behavior, or physical aggression towards others, peers, and school staff alike.
Step 3: Lottery
Students who meet criteria will be added to a lottery. The goal of the multi-step admissions process is to maximize enrollment opportunities and promote equity in student admissions.
Step 4: New Student Session
Families who are selected via lottery must accept a spot at Shabazz within the timeframe outlined below. They also must then be part of a Shabazz New Student Welcome Session with our Principal and Admissions Team.
For students with an Individual Education Plan (IEP), the IEP team, including one or more staff members from Shabazz, will meet to ensure services needed to support academic and social and emotional growth and success can be provided within the full inclusion model of our school. The IEP team is responsible for the change of placement decision from the student’s homeschool to Shabazz.
- November 20, 2023 Online Application Window Opens
- January 4, 2024 Online Application Window Closes at Noon
- January 5, 2024 Lottery Drawing
- January 8, 2024 Notification
- January 10, 2024 by noon
Deadline to Accept/Decline Spot (spot is forfeit if no response received by noon)
1601 N. Sherman Avenue
Madison WI 53704
Contact Info for Questions
Jeff Evert - Special Education Dept. Chair/PST
Elizabeth Long - Counselor
Megan Miller - Social Worker
También, Pueden Comunicarse Con Nuestro Brs - Vía Correo Electrónico, Texto O Llamada
Arsenio Cicero - BRS
- Who is eligible to apply to Shabazz?
- When can I apply to Shabazz?
- How do I apply?
- What is the lottery process?
- What does it mean to be waitlisted?
- What is the average enrollment at Shabazz?
- Does my diploma say Malcolm Shabazz City High School?
- What are the transportation options? Is it possible to have transportation provided?
Shabazz is a small alternative school located on the Northside of Madison that serves students grades 9-12. At Shabazz we believe through hands-on experiences and project based learning students can take risks, grow their skills, reflect, and grow.
Project Based Learning Experience
- Demonstrate what you know
- Show what you can do
- Reflect on your growth
We also believe in the power of community which we foster through our intimate learning community and chances to reflect on your own personal growth through our grad profile
- Growth Mindset
- Creative and Critical Thinker
- Path Finder
- Skillful Communicator
- Positive Community Member