Shabazz City High School has a goal for all of our students to graduate with the skills and abilities to be successful within their college, career, and community. This goal was developed with feedback from our students, teachers and community members.
Last year, we focused on skills we called the Core Four. Our Core Four are now part of our recently completed, comprehensive Shabazz Graduate Profile.
- Effective Communication
- Creative Thinking
- Taking Positive Risks
- Positive Community Member
Families are key partners in helping students to become college, career, and community ready. This web page will explain some key action steps that we are taking as a school this year in order to help our students develop their Shabazz Graduate Profile skills. This web page will also provide you with some ideas for how you can support your student.
Shabazz advisories provide an inclusive and safe space to empower students in working towards their post-secondary goals by means of Shabazz’s graduate vision. In advisories, students will gather evidence of their exploration, growth, and next steps. Additionally, students will be supported to utilize Xello, a post-high school planning tool. You can access your student’s Xello account by following the links at the bottom of this email. Families are key partners in helping students to become college, career, and community ready. This email will explain some key action steps that we are taking as a school this year in order to help our students develop their Shabazz Graduate Profile skills. This email will also provide you with some ideas for how you can support your student.
Shabazz City High School students will experience a number of supports to help them to develop their Shabazz Graduate Profile skills this year. These experiences include:
Student Led Parent Teacher Conferences:
Students, families, and teachers will discuss student progress and goals.
March 5, 2020
Celebrations of Learning:
- Celebrations of Learning: January 22, 2020 and June 4, 2020
- Families are invited! Students will showcase and celebrate projects, art, and presentations.
The purposes of Advisory is to get to know students individually and in groups, to help students use activities, discussion to grow and reflect on progress towards goals, and Shabazz’s Graduate Profile skills. There are a number of advisory meetings throughout the year. Your student’s advisor shows up as their homeroom teacher in their schedule.
New this year, advisories are divided by grade. This allows for more focused advisory lessons, specific to students developmentally as well as more directly supported by our school counselor.
Field Trips, College Visits, and Guest Speakers:
- College representatives visit throughout the year and there are a number of field trips and guest speakers that will help support students in exploring post-secondary goals.
- Keep an eye on our Facebook group for more information about these opportunities.
How do I support my student’s College, Career and Community Readiness?
1. Check out the Facebook group for more information about field trips, guest speakers, and college visit opportunities.
2. Help my student use Xello to conduct post-high school and career research. Resources here.
3. Use College Board Family Checklists to support planning.
- Middle School Family Checklist
- Grade 9 Family Checklist
- Grade 10 Family Checklist
- Grade 12 Family Checklist
How do I learn more?
Contact our ACP Coordinator Sarah Drake at firstname.lastname@example.org.